Cycling in downtown Reykjavík and also all the way to Þingvellir National Park, both challenging and scenic course. Everybody should be capable of taking part in WOW Tour of Reykjavík.
Tour of Reykjavik has variations of cycling routes for everyone that is interested in cycling. Participants can ride all the way to Þingvellir one of Iceland´s most beautiful National Parks or enjoy shorter criterium laps in downtown Reykjavík. The sports for all event will meet the expectations of the youngest, kind of a family friendly race. This event will hopefully help cyclists in reaching new standards regarding the achievement levels of elite racing. Participation of foreign riders will hopefully increase every year and that will encourage and inspire Icelandic riders.
There will be a united race for both genders in the 50km city race. The roads will be completly closed for traffic and the atmosphere hopefully electric when participants rush through the streets of Reykjavík. On top of that there will be a team competition in 50km where colleagues from the same workplace can compete as a team, both men and women category (best three results count). Participants will also have the oppurtunity to win there age groups in B category of the 125km race.
Those taking part in category A, both 50km and 125km race, will not qualify for the B category (seperate events). Participants registered for the A category gets a long sleeved shirt from 66°North.
This year we will have 4 categories
• A125+50km: Two day race for professional racers in A category
• B125+50km: Two day race for participants in B category
• B125: One day 125km race in B category
• B50: One day 50km race in Bcategory
• And a approx. 2 km Fun course where participants can go as many circles as they can in 40 min downtown Reykjavik.
The awards for category B (125km):
- For all ages and both genders:
Medal for all winners
- Age groups (18-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50 and older)
*the awards ceremony will take place after the race on Saturday.
*all participants are invited a free entrance to Laugardalslaug swimming pool.
The start and finish line will be in Lækjargata where riders gather before the start.
The start and finish line will be in Lækjargata where riders gather before the start.
Tour of Reykjavík aims to meet the expectations of UCI in 2018. Safety cars, police, judges and other service cars will follow the racers both in the 50 km course and 125 km race (rules).
Tour of Reykjavik has four different paths so everyone can choose one that suits their performance and age.
The 125km race is through a scenic and challenging route from downtown Reykjavík to Þingvellir National Park. Riders ride through Grafningur and Nesjavallaleið, and in controlled traffic the shortest way to the finish line in Árbær. This category is for experienced riders. Service cars and motorbikes will service /guide all those who meet the time limits at Suðurlandsvegur. All participants will be able to finish the race but participants that will not meet the time limits of 5:00 hours will have to finish the last appr. 2km on there own.
Race starts from Reykjavík City Hall at 18:00. Riders gather in Lækjargata and enter the start zone. Riders will ride together in a group and accompanied by the police to Miklabraut, were the formal start will take place, in two different gender groups. Service cars, police and others part of the staff will guide the racers.
A King and Queen of the Mountain on the highest peak at „Nesjavallaleið“ will be awarded.
Storage for luggage will be in a car at the star area and when the competition starts it will be moved from the start to the finishline so participants can get their luggage at the finishline.
*Note the map along with a technical handbook will be updated closer to the event.
The sports for all event will meet the expectations of the youngest, kind of a family friendly race. The fun race takes into account the age of the participants and we hope to make the experience memorable for the entire family. The participants will race a 2km circle in downtown Reykjavík and can go as many as they want for 40 min. The route suits kids from 3 years old and it would be safest if the youngest where accompanied with their parents. No automatic timing is at the race and no prices except for the pleasure of participating. Hjólakraftur organizes the race but the organization has been growing in the Icelandic cycling movement.
All participants will get a free entry to Laugardalslaug swimming pool after the race.
Saturday 2.6. 2018
The route is from Reykjavik City Hall along Sæbraut, past Harpa, around Reykjavík Pond called „Reykjavíkurtjörn“, in downtown Reykjavík and back. Every contestant goes four rounds each appr. 12,5km on this route which will be closed to traffic and will create an electric atmosphere and exciting competition. The cyclists go through the start and finish area after each round. This route should fit for both competetive riders and public bikers.
Riders will gather at Lækjargata and enter the start zone. It is important that participants estimate their race time and place themselves in the appropriate area. Participants in A category will will be started before those taking part in B category. This race is suitable for 13 years and older. Pace area will be at the start due to safety to avoid congestion and collisions during the first kilometers. Automatic timing will be used with a timing chip. No chip = no time (see awards for the B category above).
• 16:00 Women - participants in category A starting first
• 18:00 Men - participants in categoty A starting first
(The course will start to be opened for trafic at appr. 19:45)
*Note that the map of the course will be published closer to the event.
The race rules issued by Tour of Reykjavik function as a framework for the execution of their races, the goal being to ensure the smooth functioning of the event and the greatest enjoyment of the participants.
In all distances and classifications of Tour of Reykjavik the rules of the National Road Cycling Federation of Iceland chapters 3.4 to 7.1. See link (in Icelandic here) In addition to these rules all team radios are strictly forbidden in this race.
Commisaires certified by the UCI will be refereeing this race
The main contents of the information needed by competitors are
- This competition is on your own risk
- Since the race is held on open roads, local traffic laws are in full effect.
- The bike course is on the right hand side of the road. It is strictly prohibited to go over to the left hand side of a road split by a line at any time during the race. Failure to adhere to this will result in immediate disqualification
a. If no line is painted on the road there is no reprecausion for going over the center of the road. It is though very important that the race might get traffic in the opposite direction at any time during the race.
b. If any parts of the course do not adhere to this rule the following will be talked about in the race map and presented in the pre race meeting
- It is forbidden to in any way or form take a shortcut on the route. If a competitor needs to go off course, he needs to enter at the same place as he left the race course.
- All racers must have a helmet while the competition is going on.
- All standard push-bikes are allowed, this includes flat bar and race bikes. If your bike has fenders, paneers or anything like that it is very important to make sure all extras is securely mounted on the bike. The bike must have brakes on the front and back and bar ends must be closed.
- All time trial equipment such as TT bars, TT bikes and full disc wheels are forbidden.
- If a racer is deemed to be negatively interfering with the race will be disqualified.
- In the final 100m of the race it is of utmost importance that the racer keeps his chosen line and does not deviate from that in any way. The racer must also keep at least one hand on his bike during this time Failure to do so results in disqualification
- When passing the finishing line it is forbidden to make a complete stop until 50 meters after passing the line. When stopping it is important to make sure the racer is not interfering with other racers coming over the line.
- Drafting anything but racers in the same category as the racer is forbidden.
- Failure to comply with rules
a. If a racer does not comply with all the rules above he/she will be disqualified.
b. If a racer does not seem fit for the race the race committee can stop the racer from starting the race
Note that the Icelandic version of the rules applies. Notice that the rules can be updated.
Online registration opens soon. It is possible to register at the race packet pickup. The registration fee is non – refundable. Race package pick up (with bib number, chip for timing etc.) at the same time and same place.
|Date||20% early birds discount
12.01.18 - 13.04.18
14.04.18 - 31.05.18
|20% higher entry
Late entry June 1st-2nd
|Fun race (2km)||1.200||1.500||1.800|
|50km - 13 years and older||6.400||8.000||9.600|
|125km - 18 years and older||9.600||12.000||14.400|
|125km + 50km||12.000||15.000||18.000|
On-line registration is closed. You can register in the Cintamani store on Bankastræti from 12:00 on Friday the 1st of June.
Click here to find a list of registered participants for the 2018 Tour of Reykjavik.
Please note that some people did not want to be listed.
REYKJAVIK EXCURSIONS TOURS
Reykjavik Excursions is a leading organiser of coach and bus tours in Iceland and one of our partners. Book their tours and transfers with a special Tour of Reykjavik discount HERE
Here you can find a list of participants that registered on-line for the 2017 Tour of Reykjavík.
Note that some people did not want to be listed.