Cycling downtown Reykjavík, in Laugardalur and to Þingvellir national park.
Cycling in downtown Reykjavík and also all the way to Þingvellir National Park, both challenging and scenic course.
WOW Tour of Reykjavik has variations of cycling routes for everyone that is interested in cycling. Participants can ride all the way to Þingvellir one of Iceland´s most beautiful National Parks or enjoy shorter criterium laps in downtown Reykjavík. The kid´s race í Laugardalur will meet the expectations of the youngest. Everybody should be capable of taking part in WOW Tour of Reykjavík. This event will hopefully help cyclists in reaching new standards regarding the achievement levels of elite racing. Participation of foreign riders will hopefully increase every year and that will encourage and inspire Icelandic riders.
Online registration closes Thursday, September 8th at 23:00. The awards ceremony will take place in front of Laugardalshöll Sports Hall after the race and prices will be awarded for the first three places in 125km, 60km category and also combined which will be the main event. The price money awards are as follows for combined:
• 1st place – 150.000kr.- and 100.000 gift card from WOWair, giftcard from GÁP and a gift from Cintamani.
• 2nd place – 100.000kr.- and 50.000 gift card from WOWair, giftcard from GÁP and a gift from Cintamani.
• 3rd place – 50.000kr.-, giftcard from GÁP and a gift from Cintamani.
*also rewards for separate events
*every participant that registers for both the 60 km and the 125 km gets a long sleeved shirt from Cintamani
The start and finish line will be in front of Laugardalshöll Sports Hall where riders gather before the start. Race package pick up (with bib number, chip for timing etc.) at the Laugardalshöll Sports Hall, Engjavegur 8, Reykjavík, September 8th between 15:00 and 18:00. The competition is supervised from Laugardalurinn and the LOC committee will have their offices there. WOW Tour of Reykjavík aims to meet the expectations of UCI in 2018. Safety cars, police, judges and other service cars will follow the racers both in the 60 km criterium course and 125 km race (rules).
Our motto is „ Cycling for everyone“
Tour of Reykjavik has four different paths so everyone can choose one that suits their performance and age.
The race is through a scenic and challenging route from Laugardalur to Þingvellir National Park. Riders ride through Grafningur and Nesjavallaleið on the way back, and in controlled traffic the shortest way to the finish line in Laugardalur. This category is for experienced riders. Service cars and motorbikes will service /guide all those who meet the time limits at Suðurlandsvegur. All participants will be able to finish the race but participants that will not meet the time limits of 4:10 hours will have to finish the last appr. 10km on paths.
Race starts at 8:00 from Laugardalshöll Sports Hall. Riders gather on the parking lot in front of the Hall and enter the start zone. Riders will ride together in a group and accompanied by the police to Miklabraut, were the formal start will take place, in two different gender groups. Service cars, police and others part of the staff will guide the racers.
Our proud sponsor WOWair will give a giftcard for 1st. place 50.000 kr.- and 2nd. place 25.000 kr.-. The awards for 1st. - 3rd. place are also a giftcard from GÁP and gift from Cintamani. A King and Queen of the Mountain on the highest peak at „Nesjavallaleið“ will be awarded. They get a Garmin watch, giftcard from GÁP and a gift from Cintamani.
All participants in 125km race are invited a free entrance to Laugardalslaug swimming pool.
The kids track takes into account the age of the participants and we hope to make the experience memorable. The kids will race a small circle in Laugardalur. The route suits kids from 3 – 10 years old, it would be safest if the youngest where accompanied with their parents. No automatic timing is at the race and no prices except for the pleasure of participating. Hjólakraftur organizes the race but the organization has been growing in the Icelandic cycling movement.
The start is at 10:30 hrs from Laugardalshöll Sports Hall and participants get free entry to Laugardalslaug swimming pool after the race.
The route is from Laugardalur to Glæsibær, along Sæbraut, past Harpa, around Reykjavík Pond called „Reykjavíkurtjörn“, in downtown Reykjavík and back. Every contestant goes three rounds on this route which will be closed to traffic and will create an electric atmosphere and exciting competition. The cyclists go through the start and finish area after each round. This route should fit for both competetive riders and public bikers.
Race starts at 8:00 from Laugardalshöll Sports Hall. Riders gather on the parking lot in front of the Hall and enter the start zone. It is important that participants estimate their race time and place themselves in the appropriate pace area. Pace area will be at the start due to safety to avoid congestion and collisions during the first kilometers. Automatic timing will be used with a timing chip. No chip = no time. This race is suitable for 13 years and older.
Our proud sponsor WOWair will give a giftcard for 1st. place 50.000 kr.- and 2nd. place 25.000 kr.-. The awards for 1st. - 3rd. place are also a giftcard from GÁP and gift from Cintamani. Participants will get free entry to Laugardalslaug Swimming pool.
The route is from Laugardalur to Glæsibær, along Sæbraut, past Harpa, around Reykjavík Pond called „Reykjavíkurtjörn“, in downtown Reykjavík and back. Every contestant goes one round which will be closed. Participants will enjoy racing on empty streets of Reykjavík. Everyone races at their own pace through the race. Automatic timing will be used and there will only be awards for catagory 15 years and younger. This race is perfect for families and is suitable for 10 years old and older.
The race starts at 10:30 hrs from Laugardalshöll Sports Hall. Every participant will get free entry to Laugardalslaug Swimming pool
Okkur er öryggi þátttakenda efst í huga. Vinsamlega lesið reglurnar vel og virðið þær þegar í keppnina er komið.
1. The purpose of the rules is first and foremost to ensure the safety of riders so we ask participants to show the organizers understanding and follow their directives.
2. General traffic laws apply to every participant although service cars will follow mostly riders in the lead.
3. Competitors can register teams of 3-5 riders. The overall score of the team is based on the three best finishing times in men’s and women’s category. At least 3 riders in the team have to finish. Teams may not combine genders.
4. Every team in the team competition can apply for a service car in the 125km race otherwise they are not allowed. The organizers decide what teams can have a service car and who can´t. Too many service cars on the track can be dangerous. The service car can help with clothes, tires, wheels, handlebars etc. It is allowed to change rims in the competitions.
5. Driving on the track:
a. Service car/Noise car leads the first racers in 20km/60km and 125km all the way from start to finish.
b. Motorcycle cops will lead in the 125km race course, the route isn´t all closed for traffic.
c. Motorcycle cops will lead in the 60km and make way for the leading racers from other racers and external factors.
d. With the leading cars there will be red marked judges cars (one in 20km, one in 60km and three in 125km)
e. Service car/drawer follows the participants and picks up the ones that give up, broken bikes and other equipment off the track.
f. Media car follows the leading racers in 125km race.
6. All participants must wear a bicycle helmet during the race.
7. TT bars, long handle bar ends and comparable equipment is not allowed in the 125km and 60km race. Short handle bar ends, are allowed. All bicycles are allowed except ITT frames are not allowed.
8. Any type of regular bicycle (not including recumbents) are allowed in the race. Participants are requested to ensure that any unnecessary attachment to the bikes are either removed or secured properly, in order for these to not pose risks to other riders.
9. Automatic timing is in all the races except the kids race, we only guarantee the time chip in 60km and 125km. All participants have to follow the instructions on how to attach the chip to their bike. No chip= no time. Every participant that must stop due to cut of time has to return the chip to staff members at Suðurlandsvegur.
10. Littering, of any trash, such as food containers, gel packets, or wrappings, tubes, etc. is strictly prohibited, and will result in either time penalty or disqualification.
11. Participants are at their own risk in the race. If anyone gets injured he shall call the emergency hotline (112).
12. Insurance: Very expensive bikes need to be specially insured at your own insurance company and it would be wise to be accident insured.
13. The competition takes place mainly on open roads and participants have to follow the traffic rules every minute for example. When they meet cars etc.
14. Participant has crossed the finish line when the foremost part of the front wheel touches the fore edge of the finish line.
15. Safety rules in traffic:
a) If you stop, move right away to the road edge.
b) If you need to quit the race, move the bike off the road but be visible to the service cars of Tour of Reykjavík so they can help you.
c) Tour of Reykjavík route is to some extend on national highways so riders should not ride side by side for safety reasons. We recommend that unexperienced participants should not ride in groups.
d) Save your energy and start slowly so you can make it to the finish line.
e) Don´t pass other riders unless it is safe.
16. Clothes: Dress according to weather, it can be unpredictable
17. It is forbidden to use other transports as shelter in the race.
18. In the 125 race participants start at the same time from Laugardalshöll but when the race has entered Miklabraut were the formal start will take place, in two different gender groups. Until then the group is in one group (controlled start).
19. At the last 100m sprint the participant has to ride in a straight line without any exception, with at least one hand on the handlebar. If a participant breaks that rule he will be placed in the last place in his category. If the behavior doesn´t affect the results of the final sprint the judge can give the participant a warning.
20. Photoshoot: Reykjavík Sports Union reserves the rights to use photos and video clips of the participants for marketing purposes.
21. Breaking the rules:
a. If riders are in non-compliance to the rules they may be disqualified.
b. The organizers reserve the right to stop any participant that doesn´t follow the rules.
** Service cars are allowed on the track. The teams that are going to have a service car need to apply and put the cars registration number, name of the driver and mobile phone number on the application.
The Local organizing committee has to remind participants that the refreshment stations are located at KOTM on Nesjavallaleið, Polarsprint in Mosfellsbær and Cintamani station in Pósthússtræti. Servicecars ar not allowed to drive up to the participants and give them the time.
Men’s and women’s
• 15 years and younger
• 16-18 years
• 19-29 years
• 30-39 years
• 40-49 years
• 50 years and older
Competitors can register teams of 3-5 riders. The overall score of the team is based on the three best finishing times. At least 3 riders in the team have to finish. Teams cannot combine genders or age groups.
Note that the Icelandic version of the rules apply.
Online registration Tour of Reykjavik is closed. Race package with bib number, chip for timing etc. is Friday 8th of September in Laugardalshöll Sports Hall between 15:00 - 18:00 hrs. We will also have race packages in Laugardalshöll from 7:00 on race days, Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th of September. The registration fee is non – refundable.
|Date||12.04.17 - 15.05.17||16.05.17 - 03.09.17||04.09.17 - 10.09.17|
|Kids race (2km)||1.200||1.500||1.800|
|60km - 13 years and older||6.800||8.000||9.200|
|125km - 18 years and older||9.600||12.000||14.400|
|125km + 60km||12.000||15.000||18.000|
Online registration for 2017 WOW Tour of Reykjavik is closed.
It is possible to register at the race packet pickup in Laugardalshöll Sports Hall (Engjavegur 8, 104 Reykjavik) on Friday, September 8th from 15:00 to 18:00 and from 7:00 on both competition days.
Here you can find a list of participants that registered on-line for the 2017 WOW Tour of Reykjavík.
Note that some people did not want to be listed.